Celestron's C8 has been a best-selling optical system for decades. Combining a reputation for optical excellence with lightweight portability and great value, the C8-S is the perfect choice if you’re looking for an advanced first telescope or want to upgrade to a larger aperture telescope.
An adjustable counterweight makes it easy to point, balance and use. This C8 optical system comes with our premium StarBright® XLT coatings and its large aperture offers light gathering power 843 times that of the human eye. Included are setting circles on both axes, slow-motion controls and latitude scale. An optional polar alignment scope for quick alignment is available.
Mounted on the Advanced GT Series computerized mount, thistelescope has some high performance software and hardware features. Operated by our proven NexStar® computer control technology, the telescope has a 40,000+ object database with 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects. Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms.
Using the RS-232 communication port on the hand control, you can control the telescope via a personal computer and our new flash upgradeable hand controls allow you to update your telescope's operating software via the Internet. An Autoguider port is also included for astrophotography.
CG-5 Mount - Precision engineered for stability
Our new German Equatorial mount has precision worm gears on both axes for extremely smooth stability. The key element that makes this system the most stable in its class is the NEW heavy-duty tripod with larger and more substantial legs that offer excellent damping characteristics for more stable views. The CG-5 also has a convenient latitude scale for easier alignment and an optional polar finder scope for the ultimate in precision alignments.
C8-SGT - General Features
* 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope
* StarBright XLT high transmission coatings
* 6x30 finderscope to help accurately find objects
* Heavy Duty (CG-5GT) computerized German Equatorial mount
* Ultra sturdy 2" diameter steel tripod with accessory tray
* Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
* Includes CD-ROM "The Sky" Astronomy Software which provides education about the sky and printable sky maps
Computerized Mount Features
* Proven NexStar computer control technology
* 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
* Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms
* DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
* Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
* Autoguider port for long exposure astrophotography
* Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
* Compatible with optional NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
* RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
* GPS-compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory (93969)